Date:      Tue, 16 Oct 2001 22:34:52 -0700
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Matt Penna <mdp1261@rit.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FAQ & Install.txt Memory Requirements Incorrect

--==_Exmh_-68374808P

If memory serves me right, Matt Penna wrote:

> I looked through the various releases and it seems the INSTALL.TXT for
> 4.1.1, 4.2, and 4.4 all state that only 5MB is needed to install. 4.3's
> install.txt seems fine, stating the need for "at least 16 megs of RAM to
> use the installer and 4-8 megs of RAM to run (with a pared-down kernel)."

Huh?!?

OK.  I just checked the CVS repository, and the version of INSTALL.TXT
in the tree for 4.3-RELEASE reads "at least 5 megs of RAM to install and
4 megs of RAM to run", just like all of the other releases.  What's
actually on the FTP area (I'm not physically close to my 4.3-RELEASE
CDROMs at the moment) reads "at least 16 megs of RAM to use the
installer and 4-8 megs of RAM to run (with a pared-down kernel)".  This
looks to me like someone edited the file in place after the release was
built.

I'm a little surprised, because I thought I was the last person to
touch this file.

> I was told in a couple of responses from -questions that the requirement
> for install has been >8MB since 4.0-Release, so I'm assuming the
> install.txt files for 4.1.1, 4.2, and 4.4, as well as the install.htm for
> 4.4 (and possibly others) are all incorrect.

I can't speak for 4.1.1 and 4.2, but it's perfectly plausible that 4.4
got it wrong, since its INSTALL.TXT file is based heavily on what was
in the CVS repository.

> Ironically, 4.3 did successfully install on the machine with only 8MB, so
> I'm assuming the 16MB requirement provides a comfort zone that will
> guarantee a successful install on virtually any system.
>
> I would submit a fix if I knew at what points and to what amounts of memory
> the minimum requirements were changed. Can anyone suggest how I should
> proceed with this, assuming no one else has noticed it yet?

It'd be good to know if the requirements (16MB for sysinstall, 4-8MB to
run) are actually correct.  I think they are, but the smallest machine
I have right now is 48MB.

There isn't anything to do about 4.1.1-RELEASE and 4.2-RELEASE. For
4.4-RELEASE we can add an item to the errata file, and for 4-STABLE we
can update the installation document to reflect the correct values
(assuming what was in 4.3-RELEASE's INSTALL.TXT was correct).  I
volunteer to deal with these because I nominally maintain these files
anyways.

Maybe you can badger someone into dealing with the FAQ (I can do it but
it'll probably take awhile to percolate to the top of my priority
queue).

Thanks for pointing this out!

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_-68374808P