Date:      Wed, 11 Oct 2006 13:28:24 -0500
From:      "Rick C. Petty" <rick-freebsd@kiwi-computer.com>
To:        Dieter <freebsd@sopwith.solgatos.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New port: pvrxxx for Hauppauge PVR150/500

On Wed, Oct 11, 2006 at 10:17:01AM +0100, Dieter wrote:

> The first thing we need is good tuner support in BSD.  Nothing against the
> Hauppauge PVR150/500 cards, but IIRC they are analog-only cards.  Analog
> broadcasts are going away soon, so we need support for DIGITAL tuners.

And how do you propose we write drivers for these proprietary tuners?
Last I checked there were very few digital tuners available, and most
have DRM protection.  Even finding cards which have linux drivers is quite
difficult!

And "soon" isn't very specific.  From what I've read, most countries won't
stop broadcasting analog for 3-10 years from now.  I wouldn't exactly call
that "soon".  Fortunately/unfortunately, analog's here for awhile.

Besides, the pvrXXX port goes a long way from the only FreeBSD-supported
video tuners (i.e. bt848).  This is a significant step because the pvr
cards provide MPEG-2 streams which is undoubtedly a major improvement over
the bt848's raw streams.  Also, this was a significant step since, for
the longest time, many of these cards were only available in linux.  Now
some people are planning to dump their current myth boxes in favor of BSD.
Making linux drivers work in BSD is often nontrivial.  Kudos to
usleepless, et. al. for their efforts!

> The second thing we need is video output support, including at least XvMC.
>
> MythTV is 3rd priority at most.

IMO, having myth working in BSD will help those who favor BSD to convert
their current myth boxes.  I think that's more important than supporting
video output, since a lot of people who care about HD or digital quality
have working solutions.

Anyway, these "priorities" don't necessarily dictate what gets done first.
People working on a feature (like AFS, HDTV tuning, or VMWare 5) shouldn't
be discouraged because other people have different priorities.

-- Rick C. Petty