Date:      Sat, 9 Oct 1999 23:20:35 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@webgiro.com>
To:        Jake Curry <jakecurry@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-small@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: debugging crunched programs

On Sat, 9 Oct 1999, Jake Curry wrote:

> --- Andrzej Bialecki <abial@webgiro.com> wrote:
> > Erm, well... Have you heard of static binaries? :-)
>
> Heh... I had a feeling that's what it was.  After a nice long nap, I
> tried running a non-crunched and statically linked altqd and it worked
> perfectly.  I'm still not sure why the crunched version wouldn't work.
> Once I get the floppy-based version working well enough to completely
> replace the regular FreeBSD install on the router's hard disk, I'll try
> out your suggestions for debugging crunched programs and see if I can
> figure out why.  Thanks!

<wild guess mode>
crunchgen uses static libraries (*.a, not *.so.*), but when you run your
normal dynamic binaries, you use shared libs. Perhaps the linker used
older (or incompatible) version of some *.a lib when creating the
crunch?
</wild guess mode>

Andrzej Bialecki

//  <abial@webgiro.com> WebGiro AB, Sweden (http://www.webgiro.com)