Date:      Mon, 3 Feb 2003 15:34:22 -0800
From:      Benjamin Krueger <benjamin@seattlefenix.net>
To:        Stephen Hilton <nospam@hiltonbsd.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dillon@'s commit bit: I object

* Stephen Hilton (nospam@hiltonbsd.com) [030203 14:50]:
> Does joining the project involve signing a full-disclosure
> contract regarding all issues public and private?
>
> Think about this people...
>
> Would you join knowing that your "Permanent Record" was
> to be displayed at the whim of a "public" request.
>
> How have we gotten to this point where "stirring the pot"
> and sensationalist muck-raking is a common "sport".
>
> Are we looking for a "McCarthy" list of other names and
> details about this situation, to broaden the scope of
> the "investigation".
>
> Retain the right of a person to speak for themselves,
> or remain silent if that is their wish.
>
> Regards,
>
> Stephen Hilton
> nospam@hiltonbsd.com

I have held the notion, from the very first day of my experience
with FreeBSD, that the Project belonged to everyone involved.
Core, Committers, Developers, Testers, and Users alike. By and
large, this notion has been upheld by everyone I have had the
opportunity to communicate with. Folks involved with the project
take a special regard to the achievements the project has made.

Many people are now objecting to the removal of a valuable
contributor to the project. People who quietly participate in
the background, without fuss. Their concern is not sport or
muck-raking, but genuine concern for the well being of the
project. To simply ask them to be quiet and trust that Core,
like a wise parent, will know what's best is degrading at best,
and an insult to them.

Core is a group of very intelligent and hard working people,
however the project does not soley belong to them. Locking out
the rest of the community on an important issue such as this
alienates many who may otherwise support Core's actions.
Obviously a great many people believe that they have a right to
determine what's best for the project, exclusion from Core
not-withstanding. At the very least, all that they ask is for
full information on an important issue like this.

If nobody from the inner circle will explain why such a move as
this was made, many project participants will reconsider their
involvement with the project. Secrecy within Core, membership
changes without explaination, and cover-up of the events
afterwards do little to convey an image of stability where it
is needed most.

If nobody is willing to explain what happened, and why, perhaps
it is time for the project to reconsider it's philosophy as a
project that belongs to whomever wishes to participate. Perhaps
it's time to redeclare the project as the domain of those who
sit in the positions of influence. I don't believe this to be
the case, but events like this may persuade others that this is
indeed the current state of affairs.

Regards,

--
Benjamin Krueger