Date:      Fri, 28 Dec 2001 11:45:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        leegold <leegold@operamail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppp.conf

On Fri, 28 Dec 2001, leegold wrote:

> I only see a ppp.conf sample file. I do not see a ppp.options
> file.
>
> I thought ppp.options was used for kernel ppp
> when not using pap/chap.
>
> I am confused since I see about 10 different
> ways and scripts for ppp. I have not found one
> cogent explanantion in any freebsd document.
> For example the handbook say something about
> kernel ppp for a cisco hub(?)
>
> I want to connect to my ISP THAT"S ALL.
> And it's bewildering. FreeBSD is not easy
> for someone with average intelligence like me.
>
> YEs, I will keep hacking until I can connect,
> I will keep hacking untill I can get an X windows
> where I can be even remotely as productive as the GUI
> on win2k. It's all a hack - I still can't find step by step
> documention with technical side bars.
>
> I rarely get anything out of man pages. They seem like
> they are written in another language not english.

The man page for ppp is detailed but includes a step-by-step
description of what to do.

Remember that FreeBSD has two different implementations of
the point-to-point protocol, user ppp and kernel ppp.  You
use one or the other, not both.  User ppp is the most up-to-
date and the one to which the ppp manual page refers (the
other is pppd).

Also keep in mind that there's dial-up and dial-in.  You
want to dial-up your ISP, not set up your computer (right
now) to accept dial-in.

	Annelise

> Another eg. I try blackbox wm, I get a pitchblack screen
> and a staic task bar of some kind. No usability. I try
> gwm, I get a real color fest here again I'll spend weeks
> hacking it until I get productive. Fonts? I got all the fonts
> again, at least a day figuring the fonts.

Almost all wm's give you menus with a mouse right-click and a
mouse left-click.  Try those before giving up.

> ppp-on, ppp-off, what's ppp.conf.sample? Print it out and spend
> a couple hrs figuring it out - is there a doc. that will take me thru
> it line by line? Wwould be a real help for people of average intelligence.

man ppp

	Annelise

--
Annelise Anderson
Author of: 		 FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC