Date:      Wed, 1 Mar 2000 21:37:47 -0500
From:      Walter Brameld <brameld@twave.net>
To:        Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        Dan Langille <dan@freebsddiary.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: proposal: weekly posting about FreeBSD Diary

Yes Doug, it was a silly question and was meant to be so (I'll have to

It was not meant as a flame, I'm sorry you took it that way. Don't care
for them myself. I promise not to try kidding around with you in the
future.

I could go on for a few more paragraphs, pro and con, but since the
issue has been resolved to your satisfaction I won't.

On Wed, 01 Mar 2000, in the realization he has detected a potential
jerk, Doug Barton wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, Walter Brameld wrote:
>
> > I had no idea that being subscribed to this list was a requirement for
> > supporting FreeBSD. ONe could conceive of the situation where a person
> > helping to develop alternate support may not have the time to plow
> > through 100-200 e-mails a day.
> >
> > Doug, do you think he should be subscribed to ALL of them, or would
> > just this one be sufficient?
>
> 	Obviously your response is an attempt at a flame, which I would
> usually not dignify with my attention, but since you accidentally raised a
> valid point that I think is worth clarification, I will. Actually, almost
> none of the FreeBSD committers read -questions on any kind of a regular
> basis, so the answer to your first silly assertion is, "No, it's not
> necessary to be subscribed to any mailing lists to support the FreeBSD
> project." But that's not what we're talking about. Dan wants to post what
> amounts to an advertisement for his commercial web site to the
> freebsd-questions list. Now I understand that his site has lots of stuff
> on it that may be of benefit to the freebsd community. But it's also a
> commercial venture. And in _my_ mind that makes it a different ball of
> wax. Maybe it doesn't to yours, and if so that's ok. Dan asked for
> opinions, I gave mine.
>
> 	The answer to your second silly question is that in my mind one
> should be subscribed to lists that one posts regularly to. Otherwise you
> might miss important issues that rise out of or are directly relevant to
> your posting(s). But then again, I'm a crochity old fart who still
> remembers the good old days when people gave thought to what they wrote,
> used standard formats for their e-mail, blah blah.
>
> 	Now all that being said, please don't get the impression that I
> think Dan is doing anything wrong. I may or may not like what he does, I
> may or may not like how he does it, but I don't think he's done anything
> wrong. My one reservation was that I felt that if he's going to be posting
> regularly to a public list he ought to be subscribed to it ("and reading
> it" ought to have gone without saying...). Dan addressed that issue, so my
> objection is withdrawn. Assuming that Dan was sincere in his request for
> feedback, I don't see a problem with me providing some. If you do, tough
> bananas.
>
> 	Further attempts to draw this discussion into the absurd will be
> ignored.
>
> Have a nice day,
>
> Doug
> --
> "Welcome to the desert of the real."
>
>     - Laurence Fishburne as Morpheus, "The Matrix"

The bananas were good. Had 'em with my Corn Flakes. Taking a rain-check
on the nice day, going to bed now.
 --
Walter Brameld

in·tel·lec·tu·al
n. Someone who has been educated past his/her level of intelligence.
Join the Army, meet interesting people, kill them.