Date:      Mon, 03 Feb 1997 07:10:41 -0500
From:      John David Duncan <jddst19+@pitt.edu>
To:        Steve Howe <Steve.Howe@ice-bbs.net>
Cc:        Freebsd-Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: un-ethical isp

Which version of FreeBSD were you running, just out of curiosity.
Supposedly, because of an interesting set of bugs in the pingd, vers
2.1.5 and above are assumed stable vs. the ping-o-death.

Anyhow, you have to look at the license that your isp gave you (they
gave you a license, right?) when you started using them. If they said
anything about the privacy or assumed privacy of your communications,
as far as the control of such issues is in the hands of the isp itself,
that is, not the insecurity of the isp from outside invasion, but
rather the security of your messages vs. the maturity of the provider,
then you will certainly have to take that license to a lawyer and find
out if there are laws in your state that prohibit the denial of certain
express or implied rights that such a license would remove.

If there is no material on this subject, then one could say that the
isp does not own the messages, they only own the medium, and that they
had no right to copy and divert your intellectual property to anyone
else but its intended recipient. But this sort of thing has not
necessarily been worked out.

The US mail, for example, has the right to open and inspect a package
for reasons of customs, taxes, dangerous items, or bad addressing, but
they don't have the right to, say, divert the package to the govern-
ment, then to your boss, then to the freemasonry, then to its recipient.
And I think that law, at least, interstate commerce law, prohibits,
say, UPS from doing similar things. I am not, also, allowed to tap your
wire, or sniff your packets, or whatever.

Furthermore, no phone company is allowed to listen in on your conver-
sations without the express warrant by a court--despite the fact that,
if you live in Pennsylvania like I do (I know you don't), then Bell
Atlantic will have your information in one of their exchanges and
on the wires that they own. It would not be fair if they were to have
that ability.

The government is not even allowed to sit on potentially unstable sites,
like ftp.freebsd.org, to find out whether the secure and eBones sources
are being distributed either purposefully or accidentally into another
country, but they do have the right to get a court's warrant to sieze
the logs at walnut creek and demonstrate that a copy of DES made it
to france.

I figure that the same goes for the internet carrier. I don't think
that they can imply that by using their smtp server to bounce your
messages to others that they suddenly own your messages. They would,
by that respect, be able to publish one of your poems, etc.

To really screw with them, attach "Copyright 1997 Steve Howe. All
Rights Reserved." to all of your messages that you expect to be
bounced, and you can hit them with federal copyright infringement
allegations (although, in two years, without the copyright being
registered, you would lose that right.) If they deleted those lines,
they would also pay penalties for perjury....

Oh, so much fun.

Just remember, with law, and a good lawyer, you can have just about
as much fun as going postal, so don't bother buying the shotgun.

-John

--
Such opinions are not the intellectual property of NBC. For proof,
watch "Dateline/NBC"