Date:      Fri, 08 Nov 2002 12:21:26 -0800
From:      Maksim Yevmenkin <myevmenk@exodus.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Cc:        Josef Karthauser <joe@tao.org.uk>
Subject:   Re: USB problem (Who owns USB code in -current?)

Dear Hackers,

i'm replying to myself, because i think i might have found
some more information on the problem. i would appreciate
if any USB expert would care to comment on this.

please take a look at

http://www.geocities.com/m_evmenkin/usb/24505201.pdf

and look for "USB Dribble" section. Let me quote it here

<quote>

12. USB Dribble Issue:

A USB receive packet with a bitstuff following the transmission
of CRC, coupled with a dribble bit due to prop delays through
cables and HUBs, may be incorrectly interpreted by the USB
host controller state machine as a poorly formed EOP.

Implication:

The host controller response to this is a non-acknowledge
with a CRC/Timeout status communicated to the software. If
this condition persists, the error count associated with
this packet will be exceeded and an interrupt can be
generated to software. This will stall the USB device.
Current software reports a device error to the user via
a pop-up window. Another implication is that the installed
base may have limited USB expandability via HUBs.

Workaround:

There are two possible workarounds.

1. Hardware: Attach the USB device into a USB port closer
to the root hub.

2. Software: Detect the CRC/Timeout error and count exceeded
and attempt to re-queue the packets while changing the length
of the packets. Changing the length of the packets will change
the CRC and thus will likely remove the combination of the
two events causing the failure.

Fixed in B-0 stepping.

Note:

This erratum was carried over from the Intel® 82371EB (PIIX4E).

</quote>

Needless to say that i have Intel 82371AB/EB chip in my laptop
*and* i'm getting CRCTO,TIMEOUT errors. all the dumps still
available at

http://www.geocities.com/m_evmenkin/usb/

could this be the problem?

thanks,