Date:      Thu, 11 Dec 2003 00:00:34 +0100
From:      staf wagemakers <staf.wagemakers@belgacom.net>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Apache

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 04:51:24PM -0500, Payne wrote:

> Thanks, yes FreeBSD rocks!!! I know this is the right place to ask, so
> if you have the apache group list that would be nice, but what do I have
> to do to get my users account to work? Are they place for example
>
> /home/user_x/public_html
>
> On any web browser I get the following error.
>
> Forbidden
>
> You don't have permission to access /~user_x/ on this server.
>
> On my linux server this is already turn on so I am little lost.

For http://server/~user support you need to load the apache's mod_user
in your httpd.conf see http://www.apache.org for more info.

The apache user (typically nobody or www-data ) must have read permissions
on the ~/public_html directory. DirectoryListing is disabled by default so
if you want to show the directory listing when the index.html is missing
you'll need to enable it with "options +Indexes"

example:

<Directory /home/*/public_html>
		options Indexes
</Directory>

will enable directory listing for all users homepages.

--
Staf Wagemakers

email:          staf@patat.org
homepage:       http://staf.patat.org