Date:      Tue, 17 Jun 1997 17:16:04 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, shigio@wafu.netgate.net
Subject:   Re: an inconvenience about macro [/usr/src/sys/sys/kernel.h]

>Inconvenience about Macro
>
>In /usr/src/sys/kern/init_main.c, SYSINIT macro is used. It is like this.
>
>	[/usr/src/sys/kern/init_main.c]
>	SYSINIT(placeholder, SI_SUB_DUMMY,SI_ORDER_ANY, NULL, NULL)
>
>SYSINIT doesn't end with ';', because the definition already has it.

I like leaving off the semicolon in the macro definition like this so that
a semicolon must be supplied and is valid after invocations of the macro.
Most of the SYSCTL() macros have the same problem.  I planned to fix this
someday.

>But ctags(1) cannot treat this pattern.

indent(1) has the same problem.  This problem is mostly avoided by
following the macro invocations with an invalid semicolon (the resulting
null declarations at file scope are syntax errors in ANSI C).

Bruce