Date:      Fri, 03 Jan 2014 11:00:11 -0700
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Iain Young <iain@g7iii.net>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Boot failure for CURRENT on

On Mon, 2013-12-30 at 19:46 +0000, Iain Young wrote:
> On 30/12/13 16:08, Ian Lepore wrote:
>
> > Given that it appears to be dying in the dmtimer code I recently
> > touched, I'd say my changes (r259739, 43, 44, 50) are a good candidate
> > (except, of course, it works when I run it on my BBW).
> >
> > Do you have option PPS and do you have one of the timer trigger pins
> > configured for capture?  On my BBW, the next line of output I'd see is:
>
> Ah, that was the problem. I had assumed that your timer patch twiddled
> with the dts, since your original patch did. That will teach me :)
>
> However, although I now get further, it seems it can't find my SD card:
>

> Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/mmcsd0s2a [rw,noatime]...
> mountroot: waiting for device /dev/mmcsd0s2a ...
> usb_alloc_device: setting up USB template failed maybe the USB template
> module has not been loaded
> ugen0.2: <Unknown> at usbus0 (disconnected)
> uhub_reattach_port: could not allocate new device
> Mounting from ufs:/dev/mmcsd0s2a failed with error 19.
> Trying to mount root from ufs:mmcsd0s2 []...
> mountroot: waiting for device mmcsd0s2 ...
> Mounting from ufs:mmcsd0s2 failed with error 19.
>
> Loader variables:
>    vfs.root.mountfrom=ufs:/dev/mmcsd0s2a
>    vfs.root.mountfrom.options=rw,noatime
>
> Manual root filesystem specification:
>    <fstype>:<device> [options]
>        Mount <device> using filesystem <fstype>
>        and with the specified (optional) option list.
>
>      eg. ufs:/dev/da0s1a
>          zfs:tank
>          cd9660:/dev/acd0 ro
>            (which is equivalent to: mount -t cd9660 -o ro /dev/acd0 /)
>
>    ?               List valid disk boot devices
>    .               Yield 1 second (for background tasks)
>    <empty line>    Abort manual input
>
> mountroot> ?
>
> List of GEOM managed disk devices:
>

> mountroot>
>

> Did something change ? Is UFS now compiled as a module or something ?
> I'm a bit concerned that "?" showed no managed disk devices. Any ideas ?

Sorry for the delay, I got busy with a deadline at $work.

So you're saying if you compile with OPTION_PPS and don't flag any timer
pin as a capture input, it dies?  That would be a bug in my PPS code,
I'll look into that.

Are you still having trouble with the sdcard?  If so, please post your
entire dmesg output, and the dts file you're using, and the kernel
config you're using.  (Or put them on like pastebin.ca and post the
link).

There was a change to the beaglebone sd stuff a few months back, maybe
your kernel config or dts needs tweaking if you've customized them.  Now
instead of using the ti_mmchs driver, it uses a newer ti_sdhci driver.

-- Ian