Date:      Wed, 5 Sep 2001 00:33:06 -0800
From:      Beech Rintoul <akbeech@anchoragerescue.org>
To:        <mcreynja@mailbox.orst.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: trouble installing apache and modssl

On Tuesday 04 September 2001 09:50 pm, Jason McReynolds wrote:
> I am running FreeBSD 4.1 and I am trying to install apache with
> modssl. I am trying to do it as root (like I usually do to install
> things), but when I get to where I try to configure apache (I am
> following the INSTALL doc that comes with modssl and using the APACI
> installation. I want to be able to use mysql and php)and set the
> SSL_BASE=../openssl-0.9.6b I get the message that the command SSL_BASE
> is not found (I can't use it anywhere). Why can't I do this as
> root???? If I su to my user I can do this, but then I have problems
> because of directory permissions. Even if I fix the permissions and
> get apache started with out the ssl I get the page that ssl has been
> installed, but if I try to run apache with startssl I get an error
> message and it says that the "startssl" option is not available (even
> though after the apache installation it said that I could start ssl
> with the startssl option. I'm confused :-C). I am a little baffled and
> I tried this once before and was unsuccessful. Could someone please
> help me to get this up and running. I can give you more info if this
> is not sufficient. Thanks!
>
> Jason

You should install apache+mod_ssl from the ports, then add mod_php3 or 4 (you
can configure that for whatever db you're using during the make. Make sure on
apache you do a seperate "make" "make certificate" and "make install. There's
a readme at the end of make that will help you set up your certs. I've
installed this combination on several machines (both 4-STABLE and
5.0-CURRENT) and had no problems with any of them.

Beech

Micro$oft: "Where can we make you go today?"
     Beech Rintoul - IT Manager - Instructor - akbeech@anchoragerescue.org
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Anchorage Gospel Rescue Mission
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | P.O. Box 230510
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Anchorage, AK 99523-0510