Date:      Wed, 11 Nov 1998 10:22:23 +1100 (EST)
From:      "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@hilink.com.au>
To:        Juergen Nickelsen <ni@tellique.de>
Cc:        Chad Thunberg <chadth@atvideo.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: firewall + internal mail server

On Thu, 22 Oct 1998, Juergen Nickelsen wrote:

> the external mail server, but it only forwards the mail to the
> internal mail server.(*) The firewall also acts as FTP and WWW server,
> but since the mail resides only for seconds on it, the risk is
> minimized.
>
>     As we are just a few people here yet, this is bearable, but for a
>     long-term solution I'll have to work out a sendmail configuration
>     where the mail exchanger for the domain delivers the mail to a
>     non-MX. I am sure there is a simple way, but I don't know it yet.

In this situation I use the TryNullMXList option, and declare
domain.com with the IP of the internal mail server, while the external
mail server has the highest priority MX.

TryNullMXList means "if I am the best MX for this domain, but don't handle
the domain myself, try the domain as a host, rather than generating local
config error".

Works a treat!

Danny