Date:      Thu, 16 Dec 1999 20:54:57 -0800
From:      Steve Feldman <feldman@mci.net>
To:        Chris White <cwlist@drevil.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nwid with new Wavelan card and Accesspoint

Assuming you have the newer 802.11 Wavelan,
you need use 'wicontrol' to set the network name.
You also need to set the card in "BSS mode"
to talk to the access point.

I set a variable wi_network in /etc/rc.conf:

    wi_network="ANY"

and use it to configure the wavelan in /etc/pccard_ether
(or a wavelan-specific version-- I made an /etc/pccard_wi
file and adjusted the pccard.conf entry accordingly):

    if [ "x$wi_network" != "x" ]; then
	if [ "$wi_network" = "ANY" ]; then
	    # connect to any access point network
	    wicontrol -i $interface -n ""