Date:      Thu, 10 Sep 1998 18:19:04 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Alok K. Dhir" <adhir@worldbank.org>, Ted Spradley <tsprad@spradley.tmi.net>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   make world under 60 seconds (was: ELF worldstone (etc.))

[Format autorecovered at freebie.lemis.com]

(following up to -chat)

On Thursday, 10 September 1998 at  0:53:36 -0400, Alok K. Dhir wrote:

>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Uh, I remember several months ago somebody posted a smart remark about
>>> "make world" finishing in less than a minute, and a few people didn't get
>>> the joke.  Did it complete *successfully* ?  If so, that monster is fast!
>>
>> No way that's mm:ss.  That's supposed to be hh:mm - guaranteed...
>
> Guess I was wrong...  Apparently GENERICstone is just the kernel...  I
> thought it was 'world'!!  Can you imagine world in less than a minute?!!

I'm hoping for it.  I'm building a cross-development environment for
2.11BSD, using the original 2.11BSD tools.  It's pretty much in the
background, so don't ask me when I'll be finished, but the compiler is
so fast that it's conceivable.  Building the compiler itself takes
about 1 second, and most directories are less than that.

Greg