Date:      Wed, 15 Mar 2000 14:00:04 +0000
From:      Steve Roome <steve@sse0691.bri.hp.com>
To:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fxtv and XFree86 4.0 Problems

On Tue, Mar 14, 2000 at 09:25:03PM -0500, Randall Hopper wrote:
> WORKAROUND: The workaround is to run your X server such that the default
> depth is the one fxtv wants to run in, namely the one with the highest
> depth (depth 15, 16, or 24).  You've been doing this up til now, and it's
> not going to break anything to keep doing it.

Alternatively : move back to XFree86 3.x versions, I've been using 4.0
at work and it *seems to me* to be aimed somewhat more at the Linux users.

What's worrying me now, is whether the DRI stuff will work out to be
portable or if XF86 is going to be moving more and more towards Linux
first, others later, and only if we're lucky.

Maybe I'm worrying myself stupid, but if I want to continue with
OpenGL, GLUT etc, it's beginning to look like it would be far easier
with Linux, SGI or a different X Server altogether.

	Steve