Date:      Thu, 18 Nov 1999 10:53:25 -0500
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Increasing disk cache

At 07:38 AM 11/18/99 -0800, David Greenman wrote:
>>Much better now it seems.
>>
>>Mem: 20M Active, 135M Inact, 16M Wired, 10M Cache, 8349K Buf, 5516K Free
>>Swap: 512M Total, 512M Free
>>
>>Is the "Inact" figure actually used as disk cache then ?
>
>   Yes, all of active, inact, and cache can contain cached file pages. These
>are just different page queues and don't indicate the nature of the pages
>on them (unfortunately - makes figuring out what's going on difficult).

Thanks for the clarification.  However, is it worth it to tune to OS a bit
? Alfred Perlstein has suggested some postgress specific tuning tips and
some kernel memory adjustments which I am doing, but I am still wondering
if it makes sense to somehow tune the kernel to match my particular
situation.  i.e. nothing but querries against a large database.

Apart from that, I guess this seems like a great place to try out the Mylex
and MegaRAID controllers with a lot of RAM.... Hmmm I am very curious now
to see how adding RAM to the controller will make a difference.

At this point I am more curious than anything, because we are getting more
than adequate performance out of the system.  But for future reference, I
guess this would be handy to know.

	---Mike