Date:      Wed, 31 Jan 2001 21:43:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Cc:        becker@cs.duke.edu
Subject:   experiences running vmware w/freebsd 5.0-current as guest

Just a heads up so this makes it into the archives:

When running FreeBSD-current as a guest in vmware (VMX86:
version='unreleased' build='$Name: build-570 $' option=Release2.0.1) I
ran into 2 problems:

a) VMware crashes when the pcn driver probes the AMD PCInet card.
This is indicated by a "NOT_IMPLEMENTED F(562):1654" message
shortly after FreeBSD probes the PCI bus, right after
message pci0: <display> at 15.0 (no driver attached).

Switching to a kernel without the pcn driver driver works around this.
The lnc driver mostly still works, but is unable to correctly
determine the card's mac address.  This doesn't seem to matter for
running host-only networking.

b) 5.0-current is _slow_.  Mounting root takes upwards of 30 seconds
on a 400MHz mobile PII.  Going multi-user takes over 10 minutes.
This is compared to near-native perf. with a 4.2-RELEASE kernel.

Taking the i386 version of the atomic_cmpset_int() inline in
sys/i386/include/atomic.h is an effective workaround for this.  Note
that it is apparently not sufficient to build an I386_CPU kernel - I
had trouble booting this.  Taking just the i386 version of
atomic_cmpset_int() seems to work just fine, though.

My theory is that the cmpxchgl instruction causes some sort of trap to
software emulation, but I have not verified it.

Hope this helps somebody.

Cheers,

Drew