Date:      Sun, 12 Nov 2000 03:32:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      opentrax@email.com
To:        keichii@peorth.iteration.net
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/22042: spelling error

On 12 Nov, Michael C . Wu wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 12, 2000 at 03:00:03AM -0800, opentrax@email.com scribbled:
> | The following reply was made to PR docs/22042; it has been noted by GNATS.
> | From: opentrax@email.com
> | To: ben@FreeBSD.org
> | Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org, bugs@xfree86.org
> |  On 11 Nov, Ben Smithurst wrote:
> |  > opentrax@email.com wrote:
> |  >> Mis-spelling in XF86Config(4/5) man page.
> |  >> Bottom of page 6, next to last paragraph
> |  >> says "wsouse"; should say "wsmouse".
> |  > This isn't a FreeBSD manual page, so I don't think there's much we can
> |  > do about it.  You'd probably be better off reporting the problem to the
> |  > XFree86 Project.
> |  > I'll close this PR soon unless anyone objects.
> |  I think I'll object.
> |
> |  I'm just wondering, isn't there a way to passing this bug
> |  directly to the XFree86 group?
>
> Yes, you can email the XFree86 group yourself, just like
> you sent a PR.

Perhaps, I wasn't clear about how I'm using the word "directly".
In this context, I mean that the "directly" from FreeBSD-gnats.
It's well known that XFree86 has a bug reporting system, but
bugs like this get passed around like a sour apple. People
knows it's sour, but prefer to have someone else taste it.

> |  This bug/mis-spelling is just something that needs to be
> |  corrected. It's minor; we can both agree on that, but
> |  passing the buck puts in the same boat as some poor
> |  commercial software (M$).
>
> No, it is called seperation of tasks and the open source
> development models.

I  don't concur. "Seperation of tasks" usually involve
tasks that don't merit replication. Certainly FreeBSD can
gain by providing a response that is much more pro-active.

For instance, instead of "hey it's not our don't bug us
with it" response. FreeBSD could say:

The bug/PR you've outlined is not in the control/responsibility
of FreeBSD. However, as a courtesy to yourself and the
developer of the application you are reporting we are
forwarding this PR to the application developer. As such,
the PR is being marked closed as we can not provide
any appropriate resolution.

Simplicity comes in many forms. In this case, FreeBSD gains
by showing it's willing to take some effort to resolve
the situation. Further, this matter, a mear mis-spelling
is trivial by any measure. I beleive we could all gain
by such an improvement to gnats.

				best regards,
				Jessem.