Date:      Sun, 18 Apr 1999 20:46:49 -0500
From:      Paul Saab <paul@mu.org>
To:        Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
Cc:        David McNett <nugget@slacker.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, ghelmer@scl.ameslab.gov
Subject:   Re: xl0 timeouts in -STABLE

Bill Paul (wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu) wrote:
> Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, David McNett
> had to walk into mine and say:
>
> > On 18-Apr-1999, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> > > Hi Paul...
> > >
> > > 	Got the same problem this afternoon, after upgradig my server last
> > > night.  Since I didn't have ready access to the server when it happened, I
> > > just got them to reboot the machine, but, does an 'ifconfig xl0
> > > down;ifconfig xl0 up' correct the problem, or is a totaly reboot
> > > required?
> >
> > The patch files Paul pointed me to this morning have just failed.
> > No, I've not been able to ressurect the interface by issuing an
> > ifconfig down; ifconfig up either.
>
> Grrr. You guys are gonna be the death of me.

heh.. :P

> Okay, let's try again:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/~wpaul/3Com/test2/3.0
> http://www.freebsd.org/~wpaul/3Com/test2/2.2
>
> This has a more brute force approach to trying to fix the problem.
> Please try this as soon as possible (I want to settle this issue
> once and for all).

Just tried these and it locked up hard.  Before the recent patches
I could still get to the machine via its other ethernet interface,
but now it locks it up completely and I have to power cycle the
machine.  I am running 2.2.8 on this machine.  I'm going to load
3.x and see if that makes a difference.  I need to find a machine
to compile a kernel on.  I can't bear the pain to compile on a 486.

paul