Date:      Sun, 7 Jun 1998 21:15:13 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   New sound snapshot (with manpage)

Hi,

i have a new snapshot of the audio driver at

	http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/snd980607.tgz
or 	http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/sound.html

WRT the versions in 2.2.6-R, -stable and -current, the following
changes are present:

  + a manpage, pcm(4), also trying to answer the most common questions
    about the driver; PLEASE SEND FEEDBACK ABOUT IT, IF YOU THINK IT IS
    NOT SUFFICIENTLY CLEAR, HAS SOMETHING MISSING, OR IT IS WRONG.

  + initial APM hooks, and improved support for the Yamaha OPL-SAx
    when used in non-PnP mode (Libretto users :)

  + merged in a fixes for the OPTI925 that were sent me long ago.

  + improved support for the Vibra16X ( this was also in snd980419.tgz).
    I have come to the conclusion that this card cannot work in
    full duplex using the codec only.  I will be very happy if
    someone can _prove_ that I am wrong and show me how to make it
    work in full duplex.

Full APM support might not be that far away now that I i think i
understand what to do (thanks to Mike Smith). I have to check if some
parts of the initialization should be moved elsewhere to ease being
called from the apm hooks without duplicating code. (and, since
most laptop use either Yamaha or ESS chips, the latter ought to be
supported as well...)

	cheers
	luigi