Date:      Wed, 11 Oct 2000 15:42:03 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Marius Bendiksen <mbendiks@eunet.no>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/etc inetd.conf

*gets out rusty garden shears*

[snip snip snip]

how about a nice big dialog box that asks the use to configure the
relative secureness of the box with an explanation text:

simple:
  The only external services configured will be telnet, ftp and sshd,
  if you need to log in as root be sure to add a user and make sure he
  is in the 'wheel' group.
  You should also understand that in todays enviorments what looks like
  your local lan can actually be part of a much larger switched topology
  and using insecure and unencrypted services such as telnet and ftp is
  illadvised.

hardened:
  The only external service enabled is sshd, and you will NOT be able
  to log in as root, be sure to create a user and add him to the 'wheel'
  group.
  If you do not understand this, then you may want simple.

1990:
  All services on, all filesystems exported, '+ +' in /etc/rhosts, etc.
  (sunos 4.1.4 emulation enabled)

(Of course I'm kidding about the last option, and you probably want to
run this through a spell checker a couple of times).

Someone actually making the patches to give users these choices
would be a lot more prodecutive that going at each other's throats.

So how about we drop the discussion until someone makes such patches
available?

thanks,