Date:      Wed, 24 Sep 2003 16:35:22 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Fredrik =?iso-8859-1?Q?Carl=E9n?= <baterista@arrhythmetic.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: *Easy* keymap question...hopefully

--PuGuTyElPB9bOcsM

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 05:13:07PM +0200, Fredrik Carl=E9n wrote:
> Hi! Just installed FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE, and, since I'm used to the Swedis=
h keymap, I chose 'Swedish ISO' keymap and ISO_8859-1 accordingly in sysins=
tall. When in pure terminal mode, everything's fine, but when running X, I =
get the default US keymap (or at least it seems to be just that). Now, isn'=
t that just a wee bit weird?
>=20
> What's the issue here? I remember choosing something like a special ISO-c=
apable tty or something at the end of sysinstall...is that it?

X uses it's own, completely independent setup for keymaps and the
like, which is entirely different to the way the console is set up.
You can choose an appropriate keymap and keyboard layout from the ones
available under /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb -- see the README files in that
directory for lots of useful information, which boils down to:

   Use setxkbmap(1) to change the settings at runtime.

   Add appropriate commands to your /etc/X11/XF86Config file to set
   the defaults -- that will probably be something like this:

   Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "keyboard"
        Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"