Date:      Thu, 14 Oct 1999 06:02:43 -0700
From:      Dann Lunsford <dann@greycat.com>
To:        Ralf Meyer <ralf@thp.Uni-Duisburg.DE>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on Toshiba Satellite 4100

Ralf Meyer wrote:

> Hej,
>
>   has anyone successfully installed FreeBSD on a Toshiba Satellite
> 4100 Laptop? Are there any known problems with this or other Toshiba
> models?
>
>   Another question would be wether there is a webpage (besides the PAO
> page) concerning laptop configurations running FreeBSD.
>
>   TIA

I've got FreeBSD working on a Satellite 2595xdvd.  Installing was no
problem,
but there are some issues.  The built-in "modem" is a losemodem, and
seems
to be the only type installed by Toshiba these days (and they
won't/can't
install a real one, even if you offer to pay extra).  The so-called BIOS
setup is a royal PITA, doesn't allow you to change a lot of things other
machines do, and getting tech info out of Toshiba is like pulling teeth
without anaesthetic.

On the other hand, my Satellite is fast, light, and the two PCMCIA slots
hold an ethernet and a modem quite nicely.  The display (once I looked
on the Xfree86 site) works like a charm.

Would really like to see such a web site, too.

HTH.

Dann Lunsford