Date:      Sun, 11 Jun 1995 11:09:04 +0800 (CST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Minor nits about bindist...

On Sat, 10 Jun 1995, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

> It will exit if there are no valid lines in /etc/exports for it to
> export.    [Gee, why would it wont to keep running when it has no
> work to do :-)]

    I dunno, tell that to nfsd.  ;-)  I would like to edit
/etc/exports and then do a "kill -1 `cat /var/run/mountd.pid`" on it
instead of having to figure out whether it is really there (e.g. from
a script).  I can't rely on /var/run/mountd.pid as it is now because
it may contain stale information.  Just a matter of consistency.  Then
again, I wish UNIX had some way of letting you do send message vectors
to running processes by name rather than this business of looking up
their pid and firing a signal off to it...
taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw <-- work ........ play --> taob@io.org