Date:      Sat, 25 Sep 1999 00:38:57 +0000
From:      Edwin Culp <eculp@MexComUSA.net>
To:        Kelsey Cummings <kc@neteze.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: many third level domains -- looking for advice

Kelsey Cummings wrote:

> I've got a customer who wants to sell third level domains with small virtual
> webs and one email account.  I've agreed to do it, but I'm trying to figure
> out the best way to provide him this service.
>
> Its unfortunate that bind doesn't support wildcards in A records (it doesn't
> right?) otherwise DNS configuration would be very simple.  As far as I can
> tell apache doesn't have an way of doing regex matching in the configs (at
> least as would be needed for this setup)  ie:
>
> *.hisdomain.com    IN    A        www.hisdomain.com
>
> <virtual host $1.hisdomain.com>
>         ServerName $1.hisdomain.com
>         DocumentRoot /usr/home/user/www/$1
> </VirtualHost>
>
> That would just be too easy.  :(
>
> Has anyone setup something similar?  How did you do it?
>
> Also --  If I setup a large number of virtual hosts in this manner (he's
> talking about 300 or so)  I'd like to point all of his virtual hosts logs to
> the same file::  does this work or cause corruption of the logs?  The only
> other way I could think of accomplishing it would be to run a seperate httpd
> for him, where the logs for the virtual host would be inherited from the
> main server, correct?
>
> <virtual host 1.hisdomain.com>
>         ServerName 1.hisdomain.com
>         DocumentRoot /usr/home/user/www/1
>         CustomLog usr/home/user/access-log combined
> </VirtualHost>
>
> <virtual host 2hisdomain.com>
>         ServerName 2hisdomain.com
>         DocumentRoot /usr/home/user/www/2
>         CustomLog /usr/home/user/access-log combined
> /VirtualHost>

I think the following may be the better format.
You can use one or more ipīs (you can do this with multihomed machines - poor
man's incoming load balancing:-)

NameVirtualHost 208.138.0.94
NameVirtualHost 209.249.0.65

<VirtualHOST  208.138.0.94>
ServerAdmin webmaster@hisdomain.com
DocumentRoot /usr/local/www/data/10thFloor
ServerName george.hisdomain.com
DirectoryIndex george.html
ServerAlias www.george.hisdomail.com
</VirtualHost>

If you want the same log file just leave the definition at the beginning of
http.conf.  You still need a cname in your dns for each of the domains. in this
case something like.

george              CNAME    virtualserver
www.george    CNAME     virtualserver

I, too, hope that I understood the question.

saludos,

ed