Date:      Wed, 22 Oct 2003 07:46:17 +0200
From:      Heinrich Rebehn <rebehn@ant.uni-bremen.de>
To:        andi payn <andi_payn@speedymail.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A couple of ATI video questions

andi payn wrote:
> Hi again. I've got a few more questions, this time about ATI Mach64/Rage
> video support.
>
> Under Linux (until the 2.4.22 kernel's ServerWorks fix broke mtrr
> support on my machine), I was able to get xv and DRI support on my
> system (ATI 3D Rage IIc), over a number of versions of XF86 (previously
> with the gatos ati.2 drivers, but those are now part of the core XF86
> distribution).
>
> Under FreeBSD-5.1, using XFree86-Server-4.3.0_11 from the ports
> collection, I'm not getting either. I checked the XF86Config file, and
> everything's fine there.
>
> Looking at xfree86.0.log, the dri module and the ati module are both
> getting loaded, and there are no gross write-combining errors like I've
> seen recently in linux. But when I run (e.g.) glxgears, I get:
>   Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
>
> Similarly, xvinfo finds X-Video extension 2.2, but finds no
> xv-compatible adaptors present. And I have no idea how to track down why
> this is happening. (For example, unlike linux 2.4.22, write-combining
> works under FreeBSD 5.1.)
>
> I'm having problems with xvidix, as well. In particular, when I try to
> use xvidix output from mplayer, it completely hangs my system. Under
> linux, xvidix works fine (other than spraying some visual noise over
> other windows if I don't run full-screen). I can't find much
> documentation on xvidix anywhere (just a single rambling file in the
> mplayer distribution, duplicated on the mplayer website).
>
> I'm also having svgalib problems. I can't get it to accept anything
> better than the 1024x768x64K setting. It recognizes a Mach 64/Rage card
> and loads the newer driver, just as in linux, but it rejects all higher
> modelines. In svgalib under linux (and in X in both OS's), I can use
> 1600x1200x64K (and even higher resolutions). I haven't dug into the code
> too deep yet.
>
> Also, once you've grabbed a new vt in svgalib, stdout and stderr both
> goes to that vt, so there's no way to log errors, etc. And once the
> program has completed and you've switched back to your original console
> (or X) there's no way to get back to the dead vt to see what was left
> there.
>
> Also, if an svgalib program locks up while it's got virtual console
> switching locked, there seems to be no way to recover other than to ssh
> into the machine from outside and kill [-9] the program. Usually, this
> works, although in one case, it apparently froze up the machine
> completely (no response from the keyboard--even the lock-leds went
> dead--or over the network), and I had to hard-reset.
>
> Most of that last question probably has nothing to do with svgalib, but
> with differences between linux's and BSD's vt's.... Under linux, I could
> forcibly switch vt's, kill everything running on the console, or even
> kill the vt (I might have to type blind for a few seconds, but I could
> [...]
Hi,

to get the xv extension working i had to install the gatos driver. Just
copied the linux binary to /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers. Now xvinfo gives:

rebehn@taipeh [~]: xvinfo
X-Video Extension version 2.2
screen #0
   Adaptor #0: "ATI mach64 Video Overlay"
     number of ports: 1
     port base: 61
     operations supported: PutImage
     supported visuals:
       depth 24, visualID 0x23
       depth 24, visualID 0x24
       depth 24, visualID 0x25
       depth 24, visualID 0x26
       depth 24, visualID 0x27
       depth 24, visualID 0x28
       depth 24, visualID 0x29
       depth 24, visualID 0x2a
     number of attributes: 17
       "XV_DEVICE_ID" (range 0 to -1)
               client gettable attribute (current value is 90)
       "XV_LOCATION_ID" (range 0 to -1)

[snip]

Watching movies fullscreen works fine.

Can't saya anything about DRI or svgalib though.

HTH,
	Heinrich

--

Heinrich Rebehn

University of Bremen
Physics / Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Department of Telecommunications -

Phone : +49/421/218-4664
Fax   :            -3341