Date:      Thu, 24 Jun 1999 11:00:37 -0700
From:      Woody Carey <carey@roguewave.com>
To:        "'aaron'" <merch@ptd.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD and Linux

dont have > anything yet to begin working with it.  I was thinking of
getting a Linux
> distribution but the best ones seem to cost a good bit of money (and I
am only
> 17 and have none!)....So I was thinking about trying FreeBSD....
>
> My question is...
> Is FreeBSD just like using Unix or Linux......for example, if I was to
get a
> guide for helping people use unix or linux, would I be able to use the
guide for > FreeBSD???

[Format recovered - see http://www.lemis.com/email.html]
[Basically, set your mailer to send plain text, not html or rtf.]

Hi Aaron,

First, some clarification.  Both Linux and FreeBSD are what I would call
different 'flavors' of Un*x.  They are both really, really good.  Most
of what you would read in a generic unix book would apply to both Linux
and FreeBSD.  Less so for a Linux book.  There is a FreeBSD-specific
book available from Walnut Creek CDRom,
http://www.cdrom.com/ .  I would recommend that you buy that book + 4 cd
set.  Also read as much as you can on www.freebsd.org.  If you want a
cheaper cd,