Date:      Mon, 24 May 2010 08:59:26 +0300
From:      Nikos Vassiliadis <nvass9573@gmx.com>
To:        Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
Cc:        crwhipp@gmail.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: File system

Eitan Adler wrote:
> gjournal will replay all write attempts
>> (metadata and data) before the failure, so you should be relatively
>> sure that all writes are done correctly.
>
> As I understand it journals work by writing to disk a log of all the
> changes that have to be made - waits for confirmation that it wrote
> the data - and then attempts to make those changes. If after the
> confirmation there is a crash the log file is replayed.
> Certain virtual machines will report to the OS that it wrote the data
> to disk before it actually does so. In that case journaling doesn't
> actually help as the log file is still not on some form of stable
> storage.

I am not an expert on the subject, I thought the journal will replay all
logged write attempts and since the number of all write attempts logged
in the journal will be much bigger than the number of requests a cache
can hold you will be sure that all writes will be done on the
filesystem. Again, I am not an expert on the subject...

Nikos