Date:      Fri, 02 Oct 1998 22:11:35 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Frank Pawlak <fpawlak@execpc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Device Drivers for Linux and Intel's annoucement

At 08:51 PM 10/2/98 -0700, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

>Volunteer labor is also, not so coincidently, what got Linux to
>where it is today in all the areas that you and Brett are crying over.
>It's not Red Hat's doing - they're just surfing the top of the wave
>and trying to make it look as if they're actually steering it.  Poppycock.

They're not just surfing. They're making a big investment of their own.

>You have a choice.  As I have said so many times now that it must be
>becoming a litany, if you want to do FreeBSD a whole bunch of good for
>very little comparative cost, go write a book.  Or a magazine article.
>Or even a 10 page self-help guide (which frequently grow into books
>anyway).  You don't need anyone's help or buy-in or official blessing
>to do any of that....

Sorry, but I've been there and done that. I've written plenty of magazine
articles and am working on a book, but neither will do anything significant
to stop the accelerating trend. Marketing and investment will.

Now, who's gonna do it? If Walnut Creek won't, must we have a schism? I'd
sure rather not.

--Brett