Date:      Wed, 14 Jun 2000 09:24:54 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Max Kitchenko <max@Thing-Fish.Kharkov.NET>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How I can see connection rate using ppp -ddial ?

Max Kitchenko wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm FreeBSD 4.0 user, and I have a question. How I can see connection
> rate, when I use ppp -ddial inet ?
> When I include in my /etc/ppp/ppp.conf file this string:
>
> set log local Connect
>
> it doesn't work. I.e. ppp worrks, but I can't see the rate of connection.

I have an alias for root called speed. It is

speed   grep ARQ /var/log/ppp.log | tail -1

My modem is setup to use ARQ and that turns out to be the line in
ppp.log that identifies my connect speed. The lines in ppp.log are

Jun 14 09:14:19 ruby ppp[199]: tun0: Chat: Received: ATDT735-4152^M^M
Jun 14 09:14:19 ruby ppp[199]: tun0: Chat: Received: CONNECT
48000/ARQ/V90/LAPM/V42BIS^M

There are other lines with connect in it but ARQ is unique in my setup
to the response from the modem connecting. When things go badly, V90
may not be there and that is when I need to know the speed the most
because I force a redial.

Kent

> Please help me to understand this.
>
> Regards,