Date:      Thu, 30 May 2002 16:01:12 -0400
From:      Al Thomas <w3craft@attbi.com>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        "Schroeder, Aaron" <Aaron.Schroeder@qg.com>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XFree86 & Alpha Demi-Sable

Drew ++
Thanks guys, Aaron this box is my home webserver and not a critical piece
of machinery.
I do not want you to invest the time it would take to configure FreeBSD on
your alpha.
I am thankful for any suggestions you may have and I will continue to
attempt a solution.
Drew, I am curious about your suggestion of a 486 for X and conserver for
Alpha.
If I had another PIII machine running FreeBSD with a serial cable to my
server,
this would allow me to operate and configure the server through the first
machines
xwindows gui and monitor?  I know bigger companies use this arrangement
for
managing multiple servers but I guess I never really thought how great
that would work for me.
I have a PIII win2k machine my son uses as a game server which I intended
to convert
to FreeBSD.  This arrangement would allow all management of the Alpha
through the serial
cable?  Package install, Apache configuration etc all done with this
conserver?
This conserver would run in the PIII FreeBSD xwindows machine :).  I think
I am getting it.
Drew to answer your previous question about if XFree86 ran on the Qvision
video
the answer is no.  I also tried a Trident PCI video card, same symptom.  I
would bet the same
failure.  I do not have the knowledge to build x with symbols at this
point.  These are skills
I hope to aquire.  For now the command line is getting old :) and a
solution I must find.
I looked at conserver and I see three different development trees.  Which
should I choose?
Thanks for all your help,
Al