Date:      Tue, 7 Nov 2000 16:16:15 -0600
From:      "Edward McGough" <emcgough@bbnow.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD Install Failure

I am having problems installing FreeBSD on a friends system and have tried
all my resources only to be back to square one, not getting freebsd to
install.

Here is what I know so far:

1)  I go through the install and select everything correctly, with a minimal
install for a user.

2)  It gets to the part where it copies the files from the CD to the system
and fails at the end

3)  The error message it gives is:  MAKEDEV Returned non-zero status.

4)  While checking the other terminal (i put it in debug) here are some the
last couple of lines up to the error:

Debug: Notify: Remaking all devices...Please Wait
Debug: Executing command 'cd /dev; sh MAKEDEV all'
MAKEDEV: 762: Syntax Error: ")" unexpected (expecting ";;")
Debug: Command 'cd /dev; sh MAKEDEV all' returns status of 2

5)  When i acknowledge that the system had error and set the root password
and time zone (which i have to do manually) and reboot the system i am
getting the following error:

Mounting root from UFS: /dev/ad0s1a
panic: allocbuf: buffer too small

Then the system tries to sync the disks and ends up with a fatal trap error.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on.  I am assuming that the install
is failing when trying to make devices from the /dev directory, but, what
can I do about that or am I even going down the right road.

The system has an unknown motherboard (TX Pro chipset).  It has one IDE hard
disk in it with an SMC Nic card, (which works cause I installed via FTP from
my bsd box).  Other than a floppy that is it.

If anyone can help me out please do so as I am stumped.

Thanks!

Ed