Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 2010 01:22:34 +0200
From:      Grzegorz Daniluk <lin_g@o2.pl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: reliable rs-232

Thank you very much for all your advices.
The device I'm going to 'talk to' is cesium clock with rs-232 interface.
So it is not possible to simply change the interface to differential
one. Connection cable can be short and the transmission speed can be
slow. The most important thing for me is to ensure the long term
communication. Not to lose any data is very important when periodically
monitoring cesium parameters. We are speaking here about months and
years of continous operation. That is why I'm afraid of something
'strange' happens to my rs-232 interface and communication. Maybe I'm
too afraid of strange magic, but still, is it possible that my rs-232
could change its transmission parameters as a result of e.g. nearby
elecrical interference ? Or, in general, what bad thing could happen to
me in such scenario.

Thanks a lot,
Greg