Date:      Wed, 23 Sep 1998 09:01:18 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DNS in CURRENT

> > The good thing about this is that, while the daemon is capable
> > of fielding multiple outstanding requests, the libresolv that
> > is part of libc is not.
> >
> > Oh, wait, that's not a good thing...
> >
> > I believe that ELF is a nice opportunity for us to seperate the
> > resolver functions out of libc into libresolv, allowing us a
> > better opportunity to track bind as a vendor branch from ISC.
>
> I like this in principle, but: Wouldn't this mean that programs need to
> explicitly link with -lresolv for gethostbyname() to work? If so, I'm
> not sure that's such a good idea in practice.

See Peter Wemm's posting.

The answer is "yes and no", depending on how you handle weak symbols,
and how it's actually implemented.

The use of libresolv buys you the ability to use pluggable versions
of the libresolv code -- specifically, things like LDAP as NIS RFC
support.

It incidently buys you concurency.

Isn't anyone else annoyed by Netscape hanging for up to 3 minutes on
a DNS lookup of a typo?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---