Date:      Sun, 30 Nov 2003 20:52:20 -0500
From:      William Blum <wblum@gemair.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Order of Creation of Partitions

Barry Skidmore wrote:
> I am preparing to do a fresh install of 4.9-RELEASE, and read in the
> Handbook the following recommended partitions, and the order in which
> they should be created:
>
> /
> swap
> /var
> /tmp
> /usr
>
> I would like to have two additional partitions, but do not see in the
> Handbook their ordering, relative to the above:
>
> /boot
> /home
>
> Thanks,
> Barry

Hi there, Barry...

If you're going to create separate partitions for /boot and /home, it
seems that the following order would make sense:

/
/boot
swap
/var
/tmp
/usr
/home

HOWEVER, given that the default installation of FreeBSD seems to have
/home as a link to /usr/home, I'd be highly reluctant to depart from
that, and just keep the user home directories where they belong, in
/usr/home.

Your mileage may vary.
--
Bill Blum
"Space isn't remote at all.  It's only a hours drive away if your car