Date:      Fri, 22 Jan 1999 20:44:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kvm_getswapinfo() function added to libkvm.  top, pstat, systat updated

:On Fri, 22 Jan 1999, Matthew Dillon wrote:
:
:>     A new function, kvm_getswapinfo(), has been added to libkvm.
:>
:>     pstat, systat, and top have been updated to use the new function.
:
:Have you considered using sysctl(3) for this instead? If yes, could you
:explain why the libkvm seemed better to you?

    That's easy.  Look how much code kvm_getswapinfo() is and tell me
    that you want to waste that memory in the kernel.

:(I'm asking because with libkvm you need to use /dev/kmem _and_ you need
:to access symbol table - this doesn't work with stripped kernels).
:
:Andrzej Bialecki

    You can boot with a stripped kernel and then point the system's notion
    of the kernel binary to a non-stripped version.

    That doesn't handle permissions, but getting deep-down swap information
    is not something any standard utility ever needs to do.  It isn't something
    like getting the load average, which utilities may legitimately need.

    For that reason, I see no problem leaving kvm_getswapinfo() in libkvm.

						-Matt

					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>