Date:      Sun, 10 Dec 2000 11:42:30 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Confusing error messages from shell image activation

On Sun, Dec 10, 2000 at 01:18:51PM -0500, Brandon D. Valentine wrote:
> My path under IRIX has to include:
> /usr/bin/X11:/usr/local/bin:/usr/freeware/bin:/usr/gnu/bin:/usr/ucb:/usr/bsd:/usr/etc:/usr/gfx

That is so bad considering the power it gives you?  It only takes 2-3
lines in your dot files to check each dir and add it to your PATH if it
exists.  For instance on Solaris boxes I install GNU bits into /usr/gnu.
Why?  Because it gives you better control over what binaries you run --
remember GNU *utils replaces the systems native ones (ie, cp, rm, as,
shar, etc...).  Thus one can put /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/gnu/bin as
their path and have any wrapper scripts take precedence over system bits,
but use the native system bits over the GNU ones if you are a
traditionalist.

This control is part of why it would be nice to have /usr/pkg separate
from /usr/local.  I've given up on FreeBSD and had to create my own
/usr/treats to hold what should have been in /usr/local if the FreeBSD
Packages hadn't polluted it.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)
          GNU is Not Unix / Linux Is Not UniX