Date:      Thu, 14 Jul 2005 09:38:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Steve Quinn <letter2steve@yahoo.com>
To:        kosmos@host.sk
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cloning FreeBSD installations

Peter Macko wrote

> Hi all,
>
> I've some PC with identical HW with FreeBSD 5.4. I'm looking for a way to
> clone FreeBSD installations from one PC to another.
> I've read in mailing list about script clone.sh. "The script copies the MBR
> and  disklabel from ad0 to ad1 and then creates the file systems and copies
> data with dump and restore. The cloned configuration file /etc/rc.conf is
> edited using 'sed' to update the ip address and hostname."
>
> Have you this script or something similar? Is the possible send me that?
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Peter Macko

Hi Peter

I use G4U from http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/ quite a bit for backup's and cloning
It's very easy to setup and use

If you choose to go with G4U, take note of the advantages of "Zeroing" out unused blocks as it
makes a HUGE difference in backup file size

I talk about this in sickening detail on this page :-)
http://www.digitalissues.co.uk/html/os/misc/partimage.html#22

I hope this helps

Namaste

Steve Quinn