Date:      Wed, 1 Apr 1998 19:36:22 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        jfieber@indiana.edu, nate@mt.sri.com
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More on 2.2.6 upgrade

>Aye, but my historical precedence point was that ever since I can
>remember, partitions within a disk-like device are created
>automatically by passing just the device and unit to MAKEDEV.  To
>this day this is the behavior for basically all devices *except*
>slices--look at cd, fd, ccd, and vn for instance. ...

That's because cd, fd, ccd, matcd, mcd, scd and wcd are broken :-).
vn is handled like the other sliced devices.

Partitions are created for the compatibility slice and the fd, ccd
and foocd devices because historically the "whole disk" device is
just a partition (the C partition, except on the tahoe it is the A
partition and under 386BSD and related systems it is the D partition).
Floppies and cd's have evil aliases for the A and C partitions for
compatibility.

Bruce