Date:      Mon, 26 Jul 1999 15:32:08 -0400
From:      Simon Shapiro <ShapiroS@MindSpring.NET>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   DPT SmartRAID V (i2o) Status

Hi Y'll

Several of you ask, so here is a generic answer;

I am actively working on i2o subsystem for FreeBSD.  The reference card
for this work is the DPT 5th Generation controllers.

complete.
         All the mechanics and kernel modifications to allow
         recognition of i2o card and in particular DPT cards
         is in place.  I am able, routinely to:

*  Detect the cards
*  Negotiate setup and configuration
*  Initialize the IOP
*  Build a list of all devices known
*  Query device attributes and capabilities
*  Notify the kernel of known devices
*  Accept block I/O requests, send to the IOP, return results.
*  Accept character (raw) device I/O requests, translate to
   Block I/O requests, process and reply.

*  Still to be done:  * Complete debugging disklabel code.
                      * Add fdisk slice code
                      * Mature and stabilize error handling
                      * Complete port of dptutil (RAID
                        management.

Most Helpful Help:  Fdisk Slice, disklabel, and devfs
code                         completion.

Personal Note;  I am so swamped with work that I have little
                time, if any, for participation in mailing
                list activities.  This is NOT to say that I am
                not active in FreeBSD, or the i2o project.  If
                you need me, or like to chat, drop me a line!

--

Sincerely Yours,

Simon Shapiro
Research Fellow            MindSpring Enterprises
ShapiroS@mindspring.net