Date:      Wed, 27 Jan 1999 18:07:52 -0500
From:      Chris Johnson <cjohnson@palomine.net>
To:        Marty Cawthon <mrc@ChipChat.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Deinstall a port that has been updated

On Wed, Jan 27, 1999 at 10:32:27PM +0000, Marty Cawthon wrote:
> Hello BSDaemons!
>
> I need some pointers:
>   "How do I deinstall a port that has been updated?"
>
> Specifically:
> -------------
> ja-netscape-communicator-4.07
>   was installed as a port in 1998-December.
>
> Today I tried to deinstall this port,
> then later I plan to install Netscape NAVIGATOR 4.5
>
> Here is what happened:
> --------------------
> # cd /usr/ports/japanese
> # cd netscape4-communicator
> # make deinstall
> ==> deinstalling for ja-netscape-communicator-4.08
> pkg_delete: no such package 'ja-netscape-communicator-4.08' installed
> ** Error code 1

Don't try to use "make deinstall." Use pkg_delete directly instead.

First, find out the exact name of the installed package:

$ pkg_info -I -a | grep netscape

This should yield something like:

ja-netscape-communicator-4.07

Then delete it:

$ pkg_delete ja-netscape-communicator-4.07

That should do it!

Chris