Date:      Tue, 12 Jun 2001 14:38:22 -0400
From:      "Pedro F. Giffuni" <pfg1+@pitt.edu>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD Article in Information Security Magazine

fwiw,

When I started, Linux was not yet popular although it was well known. I was
going to check it out, but I decided to do a serious search before ordering
a CD from the US. I looked on the web and I found something like a FAQ with
alternative OSs for the PC.

Due to their history, the BSDs were much more attractive as a documentation
source. NetBSD didn't have a CD distribution, FreeBSD had. We used freebsd
2.0.5R to replace an SCO box in the National University of Colombia. the
box was named unalbsd.unal.edu.co (now dead), and we were surprised of the
speed and on who easy it was to run Xfree86 and get applications ported.
Even installation was so much easier that SCO.

I think we were the first persons to install FreeBSD in Colombia (this was
around 1996, maybe before) and I was the first Latinamerican to port
something to FreeBSD.

We got to a point where three sections of the University were running
FreeBSD and non were running Linux. Eventually Linux and the FreeBSD boxes
got wiped out. The next year most of the Linux boxes were reformatted with
Windows NT.

 Wow, I just checked...it's incredible! 4 years after installing
ohm.ingsala.unal.edu.co is still running FreeBSD !

    Pedro.