Date:      Thu, 23 Nov 2000 20:39:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
To:        "Ing. Guillermo R. Martinez Hernandez" <gmo@www.comunica.net.mx>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: help!!!! i forget passwd root and i have ttys close

On Thu, 23 Nov 2000, Ing. Guillermo R. Martinez Hernandez wrote:

> Tim si Hablas espa=F1ol seria fabuloso!!!
> I worked whit floppy but i can not mount root file system, i thing if a m=
ay
> put my kernel of my system in one floppy without rc file ( or this file w=
hit
> other config ) maybe i can change my passwd of root ( in this moment i ha=
ve
> login of admin maybe is util )

Yes I'm now eating some roast crow right now.  I had assumed that you
could use the boot floppies to get to a shell prompt and mount the root
filesystem, because I can in OpenBSD.  I guess that's what I get for
assuming.  Apparently you also need the fixit floppy.  So create the
fixit by writing the fixit.flp image to a floppy with dd.  Then boot into
sysinstall either with the boot floppies or an installation cd and go to
the fixit option.  The fixit.flp file is on an installation cd or at
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.1.1-RELEASE/floppies
Then you should be able to mount your root filesystem rw and fix your
password. =20

=09=09=09=09=09Tim