Date:      Tue, 19 May 1998 00:16:54 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Dan Janowski <danj@3skel.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: system config database...

On Mon, 18 May 1998, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> If you're going to offer one-stop shopping then you need to just toss
> an umbrella over it all.  The proliferation of little scripts which
> "just don't quite fit" into the overall framework is what makes
> debugging a system startup failure such a bear on the more complex
> rc.d-using systems and what we want to avoid.  You want to think of
> the entire startup process, from init's first gasp to the very last
> "rc.local" type of action, as a single system with a decent API for
> adding, deleting and editing the objects it manages.

I'll put my 0.02pln into this: I've been thinking lately about something
similar, in light of recent discussions on building a FreeBSD-based router
box... One can argue for or against the Cisco IOS interface, but it has
exactly this feature: all configuration is stored in just one file, and
even though you don't edit it directly, it's still readable...

It would be great to have something like this _instead_ of the whole
/etc. As it is now, it's a nightmare for any tool to build consistent
config files from user-supplied parameters - it needs to parse, edit,
re-create several config files, each with it's own different syntax...
Also, current scheme is inefficient IMHO (especially when system is low on
memory) - each script starts a shell...

Anyway, if you go in the direction of single config file, I'm with

Andrzej Bialecki