Date:      Sun, 15 Jul 2001 23:19:53 -0400
From:      Andrew J Caines <A.J.Caines@halplant.com>
To:        Bill Fenner <croyle@gelemna.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD ports <FreeBSD-Ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   p5-News-Newsrc-1.08 uses 5.6.0, but installs with default

Bill,

To get the defense in early, I'm a perl newbie who doesn't know much about
how things are supposed to work. Treat accordingly.

I just updated to p5-News-Newsrc-1.08 from the previous version. After
some odd problems with a wrapper around ubh, I tracked the source of the
problem as being the first line in Newsrc.pm, which is

use 5.6.0;

Now in and of itself this is fairly reasonable, since one has to keep up
with software if one is going to change things. My problem is that the
port buids with FreeBSD's built-in perl (5.005_03) without error or
warning and installs as

/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/News/Newsrc.pm

For reference, the perl port is currenly 5.6.1.

For my purposes, I can live unhappily with the line commented to keep ubh
ticking along, but this doesn't seem right.

-Andrew-