Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 2000 22:06:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, papowell@astart.com
Subject:   Re: was: Bringing LPRng into FreeBSD?

On Mon, 26 Jun 2000, Will Andrews wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 26, 2000 at 09:45:48PM -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:
> > I just don't like gratuitously adding in extra GPL when there's no
> > absolutely required reason for it.
>
> In case you haven't noticed, we can also install LPRng using the
> Artistic license, which is much nicer than GPV.

I did, but I'm sorry, Artistic License != BSD License.  The Artistic
license says you can only use it inside your own organization, freely, you
can not sell it or use it inside a product (like you can BSD).

I will admit that the Artistic License is *far* more acceptable than the
GPL, but I just don't see the need to get this in.  I will immediately
admit it's better software, but I can't see why we need it in the base
system, when one of the side effects is losing a perfectly good BSD
licensed lpd.

Chuck Robey            | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@picnic.mat.net  | electronics, communications, and signal processing.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.