Date:      Thu, 28 Oct 1999 19:49:46 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
To:        peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 'uname -p' & wrong CPU

Peter Jeremy:
 |On 1999-Oct-29 08:56:47 +1000, Randall Hopper wrote:
 |>Is there a reason why 'uname -p' always reports 'i386'?
 |
 |As I understand it, "uname -p" (and "uname -m") are intended to
 |report a generic platform architecture (i386 vs Alpha), rather
 |than the specific CPU variant.
 |
 |>Linux kicks out i586 for Pentium-class CPUs,
 |
 |Against which Solaris reports `sparc' and Digital UNIX reports `alpha',
 |rather than the specific processor variant.

Ok, makes sense.

Do you know the correct way is for software to inquire about the CPU
installed?  We don't have cat /proc/cpuinfo.  And sysctl hw.model is still
pretty generic:

    hw.model: AMD-K6(tm) 3D+ Processor

Surely not:

    > dmesg | grep '^CPU:'
    CPU: AMD-K6(tm) 3D+ Processor (399.81-MHz 586-class CPU)

as that doesn't work if too many errors have spewed into syslog.
FWIW, I have an AMD K6-III, though FreeBSD doesn't know it.

Randall