Date:      Fri, 08 Jan 1999 21:34:33 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG, msmith@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: syscons update - when?

>> > I prefer the option a). But, I have to expect rough ride after
>> > commits, as changes of this scale will have many initial glitches...
>>
>> I prefer option a) also.
>
>If option a) also includes repo-copying the code out of the i386 tree into
>an architecture neutral place, then I think that is the right way to go.
>I'd rather not perform that kind of code movement after the split.

Ok, here is my plan.

Stage 0. ------------------------------------------------------

This weekend I will commit the following new files.

i386/isa/atkbd_isa.c
i386/isa/atkbdc_isa.c
i386/isa/vga_isa.c

dev/kbd/kbd.c
dev/kbd/kbdreg.h
dev/kbd/atkbd.c
dev/kbd/atkbdreg.h
dev/kbd/atkbdc.c
dev/kbd/atkbdcreg.h

dev/fb/fb.c
dev/fb/fbreg.c
dev/fb/splash.c
dev/fb/splashreg.c
dev/fb/vgareg.c

The following files are repository-copied from i386/isa and updated in
preparation for the next stage.  i386/isa/syscons.[ch] and
i386/isa/sc*ctl.c are not yet deleted.

dev/syscons/syscons.c
dev/syscons/syscons.h
dev/syscons/scvesactl.c
dev/syscons/scvidctl.c

The new drivers are not yet activated.  The users will be still using
existing syscons at this point.

Stage 1. ------------------------------------------------------

On Sunday evening, the new keyboard driver will be activated.

The following files will be updated.

i386/conf/GENERIC
i386/conf/LINT
i386/conf/files.i386
i386/conf/options.i386
i386/include/console.h
i386/isa/pcvt/*
i386/isa/psm.c
usr.sbin/kbdcontrol/kbdcontrol.c

The users are REQUIRED to update their kernel configuration files
to include the new keyboard driver.  I will send out "HEADS UP" on
this.

NOTE: the new keyboard driver files will be registered to
i386/conf/files.i386 at this time, althouth some of them are placed in
an architecture neutral directly dev/kbd.  This is because they are
not yet ported alpha.

Stage 2. ------------------------------------------------------

On 14, the new video card driver (and splash screen) will be
activated.

The following files will be added.

modules/splash/bmp/Makefile
modules/splash/bmp/splash_bmp.c

The following files will be updated.

dev/syscons/syscons.c
dev/syscons/syscons.h
dev/syscons/scvesactl.c
dev/syscons/scvidctl.c
i386/conf/GENERIC
i386/conf/LINT
i386/conf/files.i386
i386/conf/options.i386
i386/include/console.h
i386/include/pc/vesa.h
i386/isa/vesa.c
modules/syscons/*
modules/vesa/Makefile
usr.sbin/vidcontrol/vidcontrol.c

The users are REQUIRED to update their kernel configuration files to
include the new driver, again.  I will send out "HEADS UP" on this
too.

NOTE: although syscons.[ch], sc*ctl.c and some video driver files are
placed in architecture neutral directories dev/syscons and dev/fb,
they are not yet runnable on alpha yet.  Once they are ported, the
files in dev/syscons, dev/fb and dev/kbd should be registered to
sys/conf/files rather than sys/i386/conf/files.i386.

Kazu