Date:      Mon, 3 Mar 1997 14:25:08 +0100
From:      hw@thor.shn.com (Henning Wickhorst)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Starting postgres at bootup

Hi,

I' m running postgresql V6.0 on a FreeBSD Box (V2.1.0-R).
But i found no way to start the postmaster while booting.

The postmaster daemon has to run under uid 'postgres'.

I put this line into the 'rc.local' file :
      /bin/echo "/u/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D/u/pgsql/data > \
      /u/pgsql/server.log  2>&1 &" | /usr/bin/su - postgres
But the postmaster dies with signal 11 at bootup.
>From /var/log/messages:
  Mar  1 15:48:15 thor /kernel: pid 1110: su: uid 270: exited on signal 11
270 is the uid of user postgres.

When i put the same line into a script file and call this
script file as root everything works fine. The postmaster
is running as a daemon under uid 'postgres'.

When i call this script file from 'rc.local' while booting,
postmaster dies with signal 11.

When i try to start the script file using 'at', it fails on the
same reason like starting it from rc.local.

I also tried to call postmaster with option '-S' from 'rc.local'
but postmaster also dies.

I don't think that this is a postgres problem, while starting
other programs from rc.local using su gave the same problems.
I tried that with 'ingreslock' using 'su' to run it under
uid ingres.

How do you start daemons, who have to run under a special uid
while bootup ?

Regards,
Henning

Henning Wickhorst